This course provides learners and agencies with a foundation set of skills for the development of business cases which meet the requirements identified in the NSW Treasury Business Case Template, especially for projects to be submitted for a Gateway Review. It follows the steps in developing a business case, from a strategic view of the problem or opportunity, to considerations for evaluating options, and ensuring appropriate coverage of key business case success factors, with application of business case principles to a relevant case study. The course will also ensure learners understand stakeholder requirements and what is required to effectively communicate the business case.
- Understand the requirements of, and connection between, business case guidelines and the NSW Gateway Review Process Policy.
- Assemble a business case by drawing on appropriate sources of information.
- Estimate the outlays required to resource the proposal.
- Prepare a cost-benefit analysis.
- Identify risks and develop risk management programs.
- Prepare a business plan that meets stakeholder requirements.
- Develop an implementation plan for the business case.
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Advanced to Highly Advanced level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Business Enablers: Finance
- Understand core financial terminology, policies and processes, and display knowledge of relevant recurrent and capital financial measures.
- Understand impacts of funding allocations on business planning and budgets, including value for money, choice between direct provision and purchase of services, and financial implications of decisions.
- Understand and apply financial audit, reporting and compliance obligations.
- Identify discrepancies or variances in financial and budget reports, and take corrective action where appropriate.
- Apply a thorough understanding of recurrent and capital financial terminology, policies and processes to planning, forecasting and budget preparation and management.
- Identify and analyse trends, review data and evaluate business options to ensure business cases are financially sound.
- Assess relative cost benefits of direct provision or purchase of services.
- Understand and promote the role of sound financial management and its impact on organisational effectiveness.