This full-day course provides practical methods and skills to help the learner submit their best CV/résumé, cover letter and job application, and prepare for an interview. It provides learners with the relevant skills to critically examine the job advertisement and understand a position description within the government sector. It will also cover various elements on how to thoroughly prepare for an interview with an understanding of the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework and its role during the interview and selection process.
- Gain practical skills to improve interview techniques and overcome those interview nerves and anxiety
- Discover a practical, proven methodology to write a covering letter or expression of interest (including targeted questions for the public sector)
- Identify the main requirements of a job either through the job advertisement and/or job description
- Understand how to write a best practice CV/résumé for public sector applications
- Explain the various types of interview questions and how to answer behavioural interview questions
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Intermediate to Adept level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Personal Attributes: Manage self, Display resilience and courage
- Adapt existing skills to new situations.
- Show commitment to achieving work goals.
- Show awareness of own strengths and areas for growth, and develop and apply new skills.
- Look for, and take advantage of, opportunities to learn new skills and develop strengths.
- Examine and reflect on own performance.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal motivation.
- Listen when ideas are challenged, seek to understand the nature of the criticism and respond constructively.
- Keep control of own emotions and stay calm under pressure and in challenging situations.
Relationships: Communicate effectively, Influence and negotiate
- Tailor communication to the audience.
- Clearly explain complex concepts and arguments to individuals and groups.
- Monitor own and others’ non-verbal cues and adapt where necessary.
- Negotiate from an informed and credible position.
- Prepare written material that is well structured and easy to follow by the intended audience.
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected].