The course covers the state’s financial framework, budget cycle and appropriation mechanisms, performance planning and reporting tools, internal control requirements (including Treasurer’s Directions), cost analysis and management and financial forecasting required to master the financial environment. The key elements of the course include understanding the application of the NSW Financial Management Framework, learning about the application of costing techniques for decision-making, and becoming confident in budgeting and forecasting financial performance.
- Apply the NSW Government’s Financial Management Framework in managing scarce resources
- Describe the NSW Government’s budgeting and appropriation mechanisms
- Marshall and deploy resources to deliver on organisational goals
- Plan and budget for the financial resources required to deliver on organisational goals
- Read, analyse and act on financial reports and monitor financial performance
- Assess financial and operational risks and establish effective, efficient and appropriate internal controls
- Understand and apply costing techniques for decision-making
- Prepare forecasts of financial performance
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Advanced to Highly Advanced level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Business Enablers: Finance
- Apply strategic management of financial and budgetary compliance and governance responsibilities within the organisation.
- Define organisational directions and set priorities and business plans with reference to key financial indicators.
- Anticipate operational and capital needs, and identify the most appropriate financing and funding strategies to meet them, through direct provision or purchase of services.
- Ensure that the organisation informs strategic decisions with appropriate advice from finance professionals.
- Establish effective governance to ensure the ethical and honest use of financial resources across the organisation.
- Actively pursue financial risk minimisation strategies, plans and outcomes for the organisation.
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected].