6-7 October 2020 (facilitated online)
This is a 2-day course run by an accredited MHFA trainer. In this course you will learn how to provide initial support to others who may be experiencing mental health issues. We use an evidence based Action plan. It improves your knowledge of mental illnesses - depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug abuse, psychosis and suicide. It provides strategies for you to use to support people developing a mental illness. It gives participants the confidence to be able to approach people who are not coping and start a conversation. It gives participants a better understanding of why people develop mental illness and what they can do about it. The course gives a step by step guide to help someone with a mental illness.
- What is mental health and mental illness?
- How prevalent is it in Australia? What is its impact?
- What are some of the reasons people develop mental illness?
- Who can help in recovery?
- What is the MHFA Action Plan?
- Depression – signs, symptoms and interventions
- What is the crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts and behaviours?
- Anxiety – signs, symptoms and interventions
- What is the crisis first aid for panic attacks and after a traumatic event?
- Psychosis – signs, symptoms and interventions
- What is the crisis first aid for severe psychotic attacks?
- Substance Use Problems – drugs and alcohol – signs, symptoms and interventions
- What is the crisis first aid for severe effects of substance use problems?
- How can we de-escalate aggressive behaviour?
- Practice skills throughout the day, very interactive and to the point. Videos, scenarios and discussion will help embed the learning.
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Intermediate level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Personal Attributes: Display Resilience and Courage
- Stay calm and focused in the face of challenging situations.
Personal Attributes: Manage Self
- Maintain own motivation when tasks become difficult.
Relationships: Communicate Effectively
- Listen to others when they are speaking and ask appropriate, respectful questions.
- Communicate routine technical information clearly.
- Monitor own and others’ non-verbal cues and adapt where necessary.
Relationships: Work Collaboratively
- Support others in challenging situations.
People Management: Manage and Develop People
- Identify and act on opportunities to provide coaching and mentoring.
- Recognise performance issues that need to be addressed and work towards resolution of issues.
All course materials will be provided in hard copy..
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected].