Policy development: the basics
This course supports the research and analysis work essential for good policy development to support agency and/or government policy initiatives and constraints. This includes research, analysis of problems, formulation of outcomes, policy history, whole-of-government collaboration and citizen engagement and empowerment.
- Assist with basic policy data collection.
- Undertake relevant policy research.
- Dissect policy problems into basic tasks and activities.
- Understand the policy formulation process and the research used.
- Use vocabulary that is appropriate to both professional and stakeholder audiences.
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Foundational to Intermediate level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Results: Deliver results
- Seek and apply specialist advice when required
- Take responsibility for delivering on intended outcomes
- Use own expertise and seek others’ expertise to achieve work outcomes
Results: Think and solve problems
- Research and analyse information and make recommendations based on relevant evidence
- Be willing to seek out input from others and share own ideas to achieve best outcomes
- Research and analyse information, identify interrelationships and make recommendations based on relevant evidence
- Anticipate, identify and address issues and potential problems and select the most effective solutions from a range of options