Thursday 30 April 2020
9.00am to 5:00pm
Delivered via Zoom interactive virtual workshop
Professional & Associate Members $675
Affiliate Members $775
Non Members $775
It is crucial that government officers are competent in their understanding of a variety of financial statements. This course will provide learners with the skills required to be able to read and understand financial statements as prepared by public sector agencies. A range of statements, including income statements, balance sheets and cash flows will be covered. The course also covers assets, liabilities, equity, income, revenues and expenses as they apply to government.
- Understand and explain the meaning of assets, liabilities, equity, income, revenues and expenses
- Identify the difference between accrual and cash-based accounting and acknowledge the means of using accrual accounting to measure an entity’s performance
- Understand the content and purpose of the balance sheet, statement of comprehensive income and statement of cash flows
- Apply knowledge of financial statements prepared for an agency in the public sector
- Assess performance against individual and contractual plans and targets, and identify opportunities for financial and operational improvement.
ZOOM Virtual Classroom
Our virtual classroom consists of a facilitator teaching the class to students who are dialled in remotely to the class session. Presentation slides and other digital files can be presented during the training session using the Zoom platform and the student may either focus on these resources or the facilitator.
To enable connection, you will require the following set-up:
- Sufficient internet connection – Zoom is successful on a 4G network. Any network better than 4G will enhance the student’s experience;
- A PC with a web-camera, microphone and the capacity to run the Zoom application to allow the facilitator to better interact with students in the same manner as a traditional classroom; and
- Sufficient sized monitor or screen to support the number of students in the room.
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Adept to Advanced level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Business Enablers: Finance
- Understand core financial terminology, policies and processes, and display knowledge of relevant recurrent and capital financial measures.
- Understand impacts of funding allocations on business planning and budgets, including value for money, choice between direct provision and purchase of services, and financial implications of decisions.
- Understand and apply financial audit, reporting and compliance obligations.
- Identify discrepancies or variances in financial and budget reports, and take corrective action where appropriate.
- Apply a thorough understanding of recurrent and capital financial terminology, policies and processes to planning, forecasting and budget preparation and management.
- Identify and analyse trends, review data and evaluate business options to ensure business cases are financially sound.
- Assess relative cost benefits of direct provision or purchase of services.
- Understand and promote the role of sound financial management and its impact on organisational effectiveness.
Stuart is an executive trainer, executive coach, university business school lecturer who specialises in the areas of financial management, project management and risk management. His customised training services and executive coaching are all enriched by an extensive career working across the world as Finance Director for global listed companies operating in the power generation, construction, resources and transportation sectors. Stuart has designed and facilitated training as well as coached and mentored senior management within commercial firms, government and the not for profit sector. Stuart is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, holds a Diploma in Project Management and Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
All course materials (including the workbooks) will be made available through our digital learning space, Illuminate. Your Illuminate access details will be provided 7 days prior to the course date.
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.